November 15, 2011

The Numbered Table

Well my new camera is on it's way!! I was hoping that the next time I bought a camera I'd have time to save up for a dslr. Unfortunately, life doesn't usually work like that :) But I'm still very excited and hopeful that my new camera will take nice pictures. One of the blogs I enjoy reading had recommended it so I'll let you know after I've tried it out what I think of it!

In the meantime I borrowed my mother in law's camera to get you guys some pictures of the side table I had fun with over the weekend. Thanks mom! 

I still had a very hard time taking pictures and getting the right lighting, so I apologize for the differences in colors!!

Here are the before's again:






And here is an after:




In order to save myself from retyping the words Annie Sloan Chalk Paint over and over I'll just let you know that every paint color I tell you about in this post is indeed chalk paint :) I started by doing the whole table with one coat of primer red. I then did a second coat just on the spots I knew I'd be distressing heavily. I then painted two coats of French Linen over the whole table. Then I distressed all over showing off some red and even some of the original dark wood.

I've been wanting to try stenciling for awhile now but have been a little intimidated. I don't have a word processing program on my computer and wasn't sure how else to get some cute numbers or letters. I'm pretty sure that I should look into free word programs but for now I used Picasa and just made a plain white collage with text added to it!

I  cut out each number and drew a box around each one. I used a ruler to try and get straight lines but mostly just free handed it. Then I taped the piece of paper to the table.




I traced over the lines I made and around the number. When I finished I was left with very light lines to try and paint inside.




Can you see them? :) I used the color Old White and some children's paint brushes I got at Hobby Lobby for about $2. I started by painting around the edge of the box...




Then I painted around the number...




Then I just filled the rest in, waited for it to dry and distressed it with some fine sand paper.




It turned out to be very fun and my 6 year old son was SO impressed with me. He's a lover of all things crafty just like his momma :)








It's home is next to my living room sofa. The decorations are a bit "spring" I know, staging is not one of my strong points, but I'm practicing :)



Linked up to:

                                              

2 comments:

  1. Love what you did with this table! The numbering gives it the wow factor...nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! Welcome to blogging. I love your little table it turned out so cute. I would love for you to come link up to my newbie party I am hosting now. I usually host on Monday but had to start early this week. Great way to make new blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete